Our Summer Term CPD Day on 25 April is now available to book. With a focus on jazz and improvisation, find out more about the sessions and book a place for you or your organisation today. Find out more about our Summer Term CPD Day.
Each term we run a Music Teaching CPD Day, where we invite member organisations and peripatetic music tutors to join us for a series of training sessions to support music delivery in and out of schools.
Our upcoming CPD Days will take place on:
- 25 April 2022 (Summer Term CPD Day) – open for booking
- 2 September 2022 (Autumn Term CPD Day)
- 5 January 2023 (Spring Term CPD Day)
See below for more information about the sessions from our previous and upcoming CPD Days and where Music Mark members can access recordings.
Summer Term CPD Day: April 25th 2022
Our 2022 Summer term CPD day for music teachers focusses on jazz and improvisation and is open for bookings. Watch live or sign up to receive recordings of the morning sessions.
The day will run from 9.30am – 3pm, beginning with a presentation from jazz pianist Nikki Yeoh, followed by a workshop with the National Youth Jazz Collective, and ending with an open discussion session on the soon-to-be-published ‘A Common Approach’.
Tickets are available to buy for organisations as well as individuals, meaning whole staff teams can attend from wherever is convenient. Book now.
Spring Term CPD Day: January 6th 2022
Recordings of sessions 1 and 2 will be available in the coming months for members of Music Mark to access.
- 9.30-10.30am – Charlotte Barbour Condini – Keynote and Q&A
- 11.00am-12.30pm – Musicians Without Borders introduce their approach to inclusion and how this can be applied within schools and ensembles.
- 1.30-3.00pm – Instrument/ specialism-specific breakout groups.
Autumn Term CPD Day: September 7th 2021
- Session One: 9.30am – 10.30am – Howard Goodall – Keynote and Q&A.
- Session Two: 11.00am – 12.15pm – Practical Session: Confidence in singing with NYCBB
- Session Three: 1.30pm – 3.00pm – Instrument specific breakout groups
Summer Term CPD Day: April 20th 2021
- Session One: Inclusive Song Writing
This session will be run by young tutors from Changing Tracks
Sponsored by Changing Tracks.
- Session Two: An introduction to the world of Rap, Grime, and Drill
Led by Kenny Baraka, this session will be an introduction to these styles of music incorporating some take away techniques for tutors to engage with in their teaching.
Sponsored by Sound and Music.
- Session Three: Composition for instrumental teachers
Led by Sound and Music and exploring their work as part of Listen, Imagine, Compose, this session will include multiple speakers from academics to instrumental teachers and will look at making composition less intimidating.
Sponsored by Soundtrap.
Spring Term CPD Day: January 6th 2021
- Session One: Playing by Ear
A practical session exploring the joys and benefits of playing by ear with folk musicians Sam Partridge (Artistic Director, National Youth Folk Ensemble) and Grace Smith (Music Leader, National Youth Folk Ensemble).Sam and Grace share successful teaching methods in learning and playing music by ear and explore why this approach is so valuable for young musicians.
Sponsored by EFDSS.
- Session Two: Wellbeing Tools for Young People – Help Support your Students
Coach and practitioner Tamba Roy shares practical strategies that aim to help students feel more confident and resilient when facing challenges. This relaxed but informative wellbeing event will introduce you to key insights and straightforward tools that can help students to be ‘in tune’ not only with others, but also with themselves.
Sponsored by Soundtrap.
- Session Three: Singing as part of an instrumental lesson – Tools and Techniques
In this interactive vocal musicianship session, Charles MacDougall explores routes into singing for the nervous student (and teacher), offering tools and techniques to engage reluctant singers, as well as activities to build vocal confidence to facilitate singing as a regular and valuable part of any instrumental lesson.
Autumn Term CPD Day: 3rd September 2020
The Autumn Term CPD Day took place on 3rd September and included three individual webinars across the day discussing the following key topics focusing on the return to school and pedagogy:
- Session One: Music Unlocked – Into the Practice Room
A session led by Gary Griffiths and Martin Ashley discussing practical advice and guidance on getting back into the practice room in light of government safety restrictions.
Sponsored by Duet Group.
- Session Two: Online Pedagogy
A session led by Jon Kille from the MOD Schools Music Service based in Cyprus discussing the key considerations and practical tips for successful online teaching.
Sponsored by Charanga.
- Session Three: Embedding inclusion and diversity in your teaching practice
A session, hosted by Sound Connections, focussing on key considerations for being inclusive in your teaching practice, discussing social justice issues and values. The session shares ideas and tips about effective strategies for embedding inclusivity in lesson delivery.
Sponsored by ABRSM.
About the Provider
The UK Association for Music Education