ABRSM Graded Music Exams
ABRSM exams motivate achievement and support progression. They lay good foundations for music making while encouraging students to reach their full potential.
We have designed our graded music exams (link is external) to motivate instrumental and singing students of all ages and a wide range of abilities. They are available at eight levels – Grades 1 to 8 – and provide:
- progressive goals to aim for;
- recognition for achievement;
- carefully structured syllabus requirements;
- one-to-one assessment by an expert professional;
- an objective guide to a candidate’s skills and progress.
There are no age restrictions and students can start with any grade or skip grades if they want to.
Bear in mind…
Music exams do not suit everyone and exam syllabuses are not intended to provide a complete curriculum or choice of repertoire to the exclusion of all other music. All performers should explore a wide range of music to stimulate their interest and refresh their outlook!
Our Performance Assessment (link is external), Prep Test (link is external) and Music Medals (link is external) all provide beneficial alternative assessments.
ABRSM Music Medals
Music Medals are accredited assessments that can be paired with group teaching to offer students recognition for their hard work. Our award-winning resources complement the assessments and provide a fun and rewarding way to develop their musical potential.
There are five progressive levels. Copper and Bronze are stepping stones to Grade 1. Silver, Gold and Platinum reward further progress.
- Music Medals are available for 21 instruments
- Music Medals cater for teachers who teach more than one student at a time
- All five levels are part of the Qualifications Credit Framework
- Music Medals are teacher-led assessments
- Music Medals can take place on any day of the year
- Each assessment is made up of three components: Ensemble, Solo and an Options test
- Free training is available online or at local venues
- Teachers and learners can choose from around 12,000 pieces!
About the Provider
ABRSM is the UK's largest music education body, one of its largest music publishers and the world's leading provider of music exams, holding over 650,000 assessments in more than 90 countries every year.