Devon County Junior Choir and Scholar Exe
– To direct, develop, and train the choirs, by taking rehearsals and conducting.
– To choose a suitable programme of activity and repertoire for choirs, seeking and selecting performing opportunities.
– To engage in active recruitment for both choirs, including exploring the possibility of developing Scholar Exe into a youth choir to include (changed) boys’ voices.
– To take principal responsibility for administrative tasks associated with, or generated by, the choirs.
Chorister Outreach Programme
– To liaise with Music Development Leaders from Devon & Torbay Music Education Hubs and the schools involved each term and confirm arrangements for the workshops and for the Cathedral Concert.
– To choose appropriate songs for the term’s workshops and concert.
– To attend termly meetings of the Outreach Full Steering Group.
– To travel to schools across Devon and lead three singing workshops (sometimes combined with multiple schools) in each venue.
– To introduce children to the Chorister Outreach Programme, the work of the choristers and the DCJC and to explain the process leading to the performance in the Cathedral.
– To teach effectively the 3 songs each term to be sung by the massed choirs.
– To encourage the schools to rehearse well between the sessions and to work towards performing the songs from memory.
– To encourage and support the schools to provide an item of their own choice to perform in the concert.
– To coordinate all aspects of the termly Cathedral concert, including use of Cathedral resources, engagement of any other staff required to run the concert effectively and provision of necessary equipment, to set up the performance space in conjunction with the Virgers, to direct the rehearsal and concert in the Cathedral and to assist with clearing away afterwards.
– To liaise with the Director of Music regarding chorister’s attendance for at least one of the three workshops at each venue.
– To ensure the ongoing effectiveness of the Outreach Programme’s work at ground level and that the Programme continues to inspire and develop ever better singing across the County.
Exeter Cathedral Choristers
– In collaboration with the Director of Music, agree a timetable for short, individual sessions with choristers, on a weekly basis.
– To liaise with the Director of Music about any specific vocal issues any chorister may be facing.
– At the request of the Director of Music, to rehearse and prepare choristers for upcoming solos.
– To bring to the Director of Music’s attention any specific concerns about chorister vocal health.
– To write brief reports on each choristers’ progress twice a year.
– To attend departmental and other meetings as appropriate, including representing the Cathedral at outreach conferences.
– To liaise with colleagues to plan duties and commitments.
– To liaise with people and organisations outside the Cathedral; supporting the mission to the Diocese.
– To participate as required in departmental recruitment: e.g. voice trials, choir auditions, and chorister open days.
How to Apply
This is a part-time, permanent position to start on 1 September 2021. Applications must be received by 12 noon on Friday 30 April 2021.Role description and application form can be found on the Cathedral website: https://www.exeter-cathedral.org.uk/about-us/vacancies/