Job Title: Head of Centre
Base: St Albans Music School
Minimum of 0.5 time allowance
Required from September 2017
Responsible to: Area Head – West
To oversee and develop the Music Centre provision in St Albans Music School
- To provide operational management of the Music Centre.
- To work with the Area Head to maintain and improve standards in tuition and ensembles.
- Contribute to Performance Management of instrumental teachers and music staff.
- To have overall responsibility for the Heath and Safety of the Music Centre.
- Contribute to district partnerships and networks, including music and arts provision in extended schools and communities, and other teams within Children’s Services.
- To assist the Area Head in teacher recruitment, selection, welfare, induction and CPD including INSET programme.
- Contribute to the strategic development of the Music Service and whole-service initiatives as necessary.
- Undertake teaching and leading ensembles as required.
Knowledge, Experience and Training
- Graduate status or equivalent
- Qualified Teaching Status desirable
- Experience as a teacher, either instrumental or classroom
- Experience as a performer and musician
- Experience in team leadership
- Management experience would also be advantageous
- Knowledge of current music education practice.
- Understanding of how music fits into the broader educational picture, including ‘Every Child Matters’
- Knowledge of a wide range of musical genres and approaches to making music
- High standard of musical competence
- Proven excellence as a music teacher
- Management and leadership skills or clear potential to gain them
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Competency in ICT and familiarity with music ICT applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills: emotional intelligence, empathy and self-awareness which would be required for working with a wide variety of people.
How to Apply
In order to apply you should have experience as a teacher, either instrumental or classroom, and experience as a performer and musician. Experience in team leadership and management would also be advantageous.
To apply please send a letter outlining why you think you would be suitable for this post together with your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This post is subject to safe recruitment practices.